We are proud to provide expert knowledge on fire safety in Singapore.
SCDF’s Annual Statistics for Fire, Emergency Medical Services, and Fire Safety Enforcement Checks were released on 11 Feb 2022.
This publication is timely as there has been a recent increase in fires being reported in the local media, especially in the heartlands. In response to the above the media has invited our very own General Manager, Tan Yang Yang, to be a guest expert on Capital 958, a local radio show to talk about fire safety awareness in Singapore, as well as to answer questions from the live audience.
As the interview was conducted in mandarin, we have translated and summarised the key takeaways and commonly asked questions for you, edited with some of our comments. You can watch the original broadcast here.
We believe that this would serve as a great resource for the public and clears many questions relating to fire safety!
State of fire safety in Singapore:
- Most common causes of fire incidents in residential areas are attributed to unattended cooking, discarded items, and electrical fires.
- The public’s fire awareness in Singapore is very low, with less than 1% of households owning any fire protection equipment, whether it is a fire extinguisher, fire blanket, or smoke detector alarm.
- SCDF has very strong operational readiness when it comes to responding to incidents.
- Most households are covered by basic fire insurance, which is insufficient to cover the value of household items.
How to improve fire safety awareness in Singapore:
- Pre-pandemic, there were regular community programs where the local community center would organise fire safety awareness events. These have been put on hold but we look forward to these events returning in the future.
- Commercial players and the public also have an active role to play in order to keep our community safe.
Are fire blankets useful for fire safety?
- Fire blankets are useful. They can be used to smother small fires, and can be used in lieu of a fire extinguisher when someone is on fire.
- Fire blankets are excellent complementary items with fire extinguishers. Once a fire is extinguished, the fire may reignite again due to its high temperature. Covering the remains of the fire with a fire blanket will lessen the chances of a fire reigniting due to oxygen deprivation.
Are there many types of fire extinguishers?
- Yes, it is differentiated as there are different types of fires to fight
- Blue for powder, general use.
- Black is for carbon dioxide / CO2 and is more suitable for electronics.
- Red is water based.
- Beige is foam based, which is great for kitchen and oil based fires.
- There are other types, but these are the most common
How to care for your fire extinguisher:
- It is recommended for households to perform annual servicing for their fire extinguisher to any SCDF approved workshop.
- A fire extinguisher is unlike an aerosol spray; it is a one-use item and would require refills and its pressure topped up once it has been used.
How to use your fire extinguisher:
- PASS method.
- Pull the safety pin
- Aim the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle
- Sweep until the fire is extinguished
Other general FAQ about fire extinguishers:
- Place your fire extinguisher in a physically accessible, visually obvious place, like the living room or kitchen. We have our very own manual here!
- Foam based extinguishers are more effective for kitchen fires.
- Powder based extinguishers will leave powder residual in the area, which may not be good for your household items.
- A 2KG fire extinguisher may be enough for small fires, but it is advisable to err on the side of caution and get one which has a higher capacity, such as 4kg. This is because a higher capacity allows the user a margin of error when operating the fire extinguisher. Plus, it has a higher fire rating!
Our General Manager, Yang Yang, had a great time on the show and Fire Armour is proud to be part of this community effort in advocating fire safety in Singapore. We hope you have enjoyed our summary of the interview, and this would be useful for you.
As the local manufacturer in Singapore, Fire Armour is able to provide all the help you need to protect yourself and your household! Our online store provides the range of basic equipment you would need, inclusive of yearly servicing!