Singapore standard 578 or SS 578 for short governs the use and maintenance of portable fire extinguishers.
Before you continue reading
This is a very summarised version of the standard that is not word for word and many parts have been omitted out. We will not be responsible for any miscommunication and misunderstanding that have resulted from reading this page. The wording has been greatly simplified to make it easier for the layman to understand and to avoid copyright issues. This page is meant to educate new staff that will be responsible of fire fighting equipment in their premises.
These are the owner’s responsibility:
1. Extinguishers have to be serviced once a year by a competent technician of a workshop approved by the authorities.
Source: SS 578: 2012 4.1.4
If you need your extinguishers to be maintained, kindly contact us
2. Extinguishers have to be inspected by owner at least once a month
Source: SS 578: 2012 4.1.3
3. The owner has to inspect for the following:
(a) Is the extinguisher at the designated place
(b) Is the extinguishers unobstructed and visible
(c) Are the operating instructions visible and facing outward
(d) Safety pin and safety seal are present
(e) Weigh or heft the extinguisher to determine fullness
(f) Examine for obvious physical damage, corrosion, leakage or clogged nozzle
(g) The pressure gauge is in operation range
Source: SS 578: 2012 4.2.2
Useful information to be aware of:
1. Extinguisher placement for Class A hazard
The maximum distance a person has to trave to reach an extinguisher should not be more than 15m for Class A hazard
Source: SS 578: 2012 3.2.1
2. For Class A low hazard occupancy, the minimum rating shall be 13A
Source: SS 578: 2012 3.2.2
3. Hydrostatic testing has to be performed once every 10years for gas type extinguishers (Carbon Dioxide & Clean agent) and every 5 years for non-gas type extinguishers (Powder, water, foam).
Source: SS 578: 2012 5.2